Monday, May 30, 2022

The Draw, the Pull, the Attraction of Facebook (Social Media)

I'm back.

I'd pulled away and was doing great - disabling the app on my phone helped the most. But I seem to be back as much as if I'd never backed away. I abled my app back.

Sigh.

I found the StackExchange Question and Answer site today... *distraction

My desk is still atrociously a mess... stacks of things I want to do sitting here, getting messed up and "lost" (it's never really lost, just under a stack of more papers and stuff).

I'm supposed to be learning a song to audition for an activity that will take place in Texas in November of this year. That supposedly I really really want to participate in. I have to remember the emotion of singing for 3 days with other people who love to sing SATB a cappella gospel and Christian music. It's a mountaintop experience, to be sure. They're doing a Beta Test of allowing single singers to audition without a SATB quartet. This is huge... our Bass can't go when the next singing is scheduled, so the Soprano, me and the Tenor are trying to learn the assigned song (memorize) to video record it as our audition piece. It's a long song. It's repetitive, which makes it harder for me to memorize the words... and there's a lot of words. Did I mention it was kinda boring (the not-so-nice way of saying it's repetitive)? I've put the notes in my music program and created learning tracks and have even spent a few hours on it - but not for myself... for others. That's a thing with me.

I'm more likely to complete a task for someone else than I am for myself.

Ugh.

I'm in the middle of making sure my old phone's stuff has been transferred successfully to my new phone - they give me 30 days to do that before I have to turn my old phone in for a $700 credit... which is great! I really love my old phone, and am not convinced the "Samsung S22 Ultra" is all that and a bag of chips. 

But back to my post's purpose.

Because of Facebook I found out there's the possibility of a Meteor Shower tonight. A solo RV-er gal I follow and who I think is the bomb posted it on her FB page. She also posted a great "Stay Safe While Traveling Alone" post on her blog, which she shared first on Facebook.

FB does help my business. I post in the local private Realtor group questions and look for answers to RE questions... learn about new rules, policies etc... and also promote our team with listings, recent sales etc... 

There are some FB "Keep it Local" Groups that are a great resource for finding local businesses to support and try.

It's just when you have 3-5 minutes to 'kill' - FB is such an easy (too easy) app to pull up, and all of a sudden you've (I've) spent 2 hours on it and haven't even written a To-Do List so you (I) can't even say you (I) weren't able to get anything on your (my) To-Do List done!!

There's an extension I had on my old pc for Firefox called "Morning Coffee" which you can put your websites that you want to visit every day - "The Quantum-compatible version of the old favorite. Morning Coffee Quantum allows you to create lists of daily websites, as well as a list that you visit every day." I set that up in hopes that it will help me streamline my morning routine... Did I remember to go there first? Nope.

The Habit of Facebook. The habit needs to be replaced with a different, more productive and more 'positive mindset' focused habit/app.

As usual... it comes down to habit and habit changes.

And there are days I feel like I've made progress! And there are days like today. 

We are all a work in progress... and like I recently posted on Facebook (see what I did there?) ~

"Anxiety happens when you think you have to figure out everything all at once.
Breathe.
You're strong.
You got this.
Take it day by day."



No comments: